Although I have always preferred rainy nights, like the picture I took earlier this spring, there is something special about days spent indoors. Lately I have been working my way through classic books, my current obsession, Dracula. This haunting work got me in the mood for something a little brighter. My solution? Scones. A perfect treat to enjoy with my 2 o'clock cup of tea.
Looking through my fruit bowl I noticed a few extra grapefruits that needed using and therefore my delicious Grapefruit-Lemon Scones were just the fix. The first time that I tried this recipe, I had modified it from an Orange Scone Recipe and was stunned as I pulled out the baking sheet to find puffy, light, and very high scones. I think it's most likely that the acid in the grapefruit juice reacted strongly with the baking powder, and oh, what a difference it made! These sones are even a bit cake-like in texture and with a light citrus glaze, they are the perfect summer treat!
- hope you enjoy.
Makes 12 small scones.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Fit a baking sheet with clean foil, shiny side up.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 T. grapefruit zest
1 t. lemon zest
pinch kosher salt
1 T. fresh mixed grapefruit and lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk
Start by zesting and juicing the grapefruit and lemon, combining the 2 juices in one glass as well as the zest in another.
In a stand mixer bowl, add the flour, butter pieces, sugar, grapefruit and lemon zest, salt and baking powder and mix until the butter is well incorporated.
Add the citrus juice and buttermilk and mix quickly. It should form a soft but not wet ball of dough. If it's too dry, add more buttermilk or citrus juice, a tablespoon at a time.
Scrape the dough onto a floured counter, split the dough into two equal balls and pat gently into two equal circles, sprinkling a little flour as you form them.
Cut the circles in half with a floured knife, then cut each half two more times so you have 12 pieces.
Place the pieces on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the scones are firm on top when gently pressed and very light when you pick them up. Remove to a cooling rack until cool, and serve with jam or marmalade, sprinkle with a little confectioner's sugar if you wish or top with the a homemade citrus glaze.
For the glaze, combine powdered sugar with equal parts water and the lemon and grapefruit juice mixture to your desired consistency. For a pretty garnish, mix in the excess lemon and grapefruit zest.
These scones speak for themselves and leave a lovely punch of light and citrusy flavor to brighten any rainy day.

No comments:
Post a Comment